Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Choose You Kingdom Hearts!



Now while I did have a post about that fancy new Nintendo console you've heard nothing about hidden away in the back of mind, I started playing Kingdom Hearts again this weekend, so I'm gonna talk about that instead. So join me, on this stupidly awesome post about what needs to happen before Kingdom Hearts III.

Now in case you don't know, I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, hence the reason I'm writing this. Back in the day right before Squaresoft merged with Enix, the vision that came about from an elevator conversation between game designer Tetsuya Nomura and a Disney Executive hit store shelves. The game in question was Kingdom Hearts. When I first heard that Disney would be teaming up with the guy who made Final Fantasy VII, I thought it would be a complete and utter failure. Of course, back then I was also a stupid kid gamer who didn't like anything without the words Final Fantasy.

To my surprise, and I'm sure to a lot of others, the game was a hit. It told the first tale of Sora, joining up with Donald and Goofy to try and find his friends and stop a man named Ansem from finding Kingdom Hearts. Since then the franchise has had two main titles and about five spin offs. It's still a success today, and with 2011 here and the Kingdom Hearts development team (hopefully) finishing up work on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts III should be up next for them.

Which brings me to the main reason for my post. I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts Ultimate Collection before release of the third game. It makes sense. What better way to experience the series than with a 7 game collection to recap everything and let those who haven't yet played them, well, play them? So here's what I'd like to see in this collection. And for those wondering, yes I'm assuming a PS3 release. No offense Microsoft or Nintendo fans, I just don't see a Kingdom Hearts collection coming to you all. Sad face I know!

-All 7 current Kingdom Hearts Games, including: Birth By Sleep, Kingdom Hearts, Re: Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts II, Re: Coded, and 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
-All games presented in High Definition. This wouldn't be hard at all considering all of the game's characters, environments, and cinematics are rendered in higher resolutions than presented.
-All games featuring trophies. I mean... duh!
-Add Critical difficulty to the games that don't feature it. You know, for those that like the challenge.

Specific things I'd like to see for each game:

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep:
-First off, I would like to finally see the "Final Mix" Version get a release outside of Japan, and a collection would be a perfect opportunity to do so. It would allow American fans the opportunity to hear the Japanese voice actors at work, as well as get access to the bonus content.
-Change the camera to allow for the second analog stick.

Kingdom Hearts:
-Again, bring the "Final Mix" version over.
-The game could also do with a re-dub of Haley-Joel Osment's role as Sora to match the rest of the series. He sounds 12 in the first game and 16 in the rest. Also, a re-dub Billy Zane's role of Ansem would be good too. As much as I loved his performance, he never reprised his role. Also Richard Epcar kinda stole the show from him.
-Voice the new cutscenes featured in Final Mix that weren't voiced before.
-Include the movie viewer featured in later installments of the series.
-Finally, fix the camera for the game. It doesn't really stand up that well compared the camera from II.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories:
-Seeing as how this game is already a remake, there's really nothing I could ask for aside from a costume change for Sora in Atlantica. When Re: CoM came out, it updated Sora's costume for Halloween Town and I always wondered why they never used his Atlantica costume. He just looks out of place standing there with Ariel.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days:
-This game would be a remake if released in this collection. The only thing I would like to see is the updated visuals and camera.
-Keep the multiplayer missions of the game and turn them into split screen co-op, possibly online co-op.

Kingdom Hearts II:
-The third and final "Final Mix" version to be incorporated.
-Dub the new scenes that need dubbing, as there were several new ones added.
-Include the movie viewer for this game.
-*NERD RAGE* Fix that fucking Demyx fight, fuck that shit!

Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded:
-Update the visuals and camera controls.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance:
-That's right. The game that's not even out yet and I'm putting it in this collection.
-Graphics would need a slight boost. Not much from what I've seen so far though.
-Sony could also retain the 3D aspect of the game as an optional thing.

Well, that's all for me and my dreams this week. More from my dreams next week when I tell you about that Nintendo console that doesn't exist... yet.
_______
Can't enough of Chris? We know we can't. Check out last week's column here. You can e-mail him at chris@fistfullofpotions.com He might even respond!

The awesome image used in the header was drawn by Supremus-Prime.

Be sure to follow Fistfullofpotions on Twitter to get all our sexy musings sent to your feed. Alternatively, follow the blog using your Blogspot account. Both are viable options.

2 comments:

  1. Like you I am a huge fan of the kingdom hearts games and I would love to see them revamp some of the past games I'm this series. I too would love to see them do more with the multiplayer aspect of the game but I don't really see them taking into an online co-op. If they did it would be a massive undertaking to create am online gaming experience that could rival such games as modern wafare or even the most recent GTA and although they do have the maps and characters to do it, they do not have the same kind of weapon customization. Yea sure as you level up you can get the better weapons just like all other online games but your limited to the type of weapon you can wield depending on the character you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While each character does have a single weapon, yes, they still different ones that they unlock within the progress of the main story for 358/2 Days. So customization wouldn't be to hard to obtain.

    ReplyDelete